The simple answer is ‘YES’. Exercise is wonderful and promotes health on many levels but everyone who trains regularly will also understand the stress it can put on the body. This is where massage comes to the rescue. Here are just some of the reasons why:
- Ever felt like you could squat extra weight if only your flexibility allowed it? Massage helps to release adhesions between muscles and fascia (connective tissue) which helps increase your range of movement and decrease those sticking points. This allows for better positioning and posture throughout your workout meaning you get a more efficient training session.
- Massage can offer relief from delayed onset muscle soreness or even stave it off altogether.
- Exercise creates trauma within the body and causes micro-tears in the tissues. This can lead to a build-up of waste products that can get stuck in your muscles. Massage improves circulation and helps the lymphatic system clear away this waste efficiently. Fresh oxygenated blood can then flow more freely to your muscles and aid repair.
- Massage has a relaxing effect on the mind and body which can help counteract the breakdown hormones that are released during exercise, helping your body maintain homeostasis.
- If you’ve had a massage before, you’ve probably noticed the great night’s sleep that tends to follow. Good quality sleep helps you focus and stay alert – very important when lifting weights!
- If you are experiencing little niggles that are upsetting your exercise routine, massage can address these before they turn into injuries.
On top of all that, massage feels great and your muscles will love it!